Do you know what is Aadhar Virtual ID and how to generate VID number online? Even most of you haven’t heard of this term before. Aadhar Card Virtual ID Number is very important when it comes to privacy and security. UIDAI has made VID for protecting the 12-digit Aadhar Number.
In this article, we will come across the meaning of Virtual ID and how to generate Aadhar Virtual ID Number online and using mAadhar app on a smartphone. We will also talk about its features, uses, need and other aspects.
What is Aadhar Virtual ID
Virtual ID Number is a temporary 16-digit random number which is linked or mapped to your Aadhar card. The generated VID Number can be cancelled or revoked any time you wish by generating a new VID online. The 16-digit Virtual ID number can be used wherever Aadhar number is needed like during Aadhar authentications and performing KYCs.
In simple words, the virtual id will replace the Aadhar number. You will not be required to directly share your 12-digit Aadhar number which is good for privacy. The interesting fact is that it is impossible to derive the aadhar number from VID.
Talking about its making, the virtual id can be made online within a few seconds. To know how to make VID, read the instructions below.
How To Generate Aadhar Virtual ID Number (New)
There are four genuine ways through which any aadhar cardholder can generate their new or fresh virtual id. The three method includes online, mAadhar app, SMS and downloading e Aadhar.
Requirements to Generate A New VID Number:
- Aadhar Card Number.
- Aadhar Card Linked Mobile Number.
- Computer/Laptop (Online method).
- Smartphone (mAadhar app and SMS method).
Steps To Generate Virtual ID Number Online
Step 1: Go to the official UIDAI site: https://uidai.gov.in/
Step 2: Move down to the “Aadhaar Services” and click on the “Virtual ID (VID) Generator“.
Step 3: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar (UID) Number.
Step 4: Complete the Captcha Verification and click on the “Send OTP” button.
Step 5: Now, you will be taken to a new webpage and receive a 6-digit OTP on your Aadhar card registered mobile number.
Step 6: Enter the OTP and select the “Generate VID” circle.
Step 7: At last, click on the “Generate” button.
Done, you will now see a message on the computer screen saying,” Your Virtual ID (VID) is sent to your registered mobile number”. This message means that your new VID number has been generated successfully and sent to you in the form of an SMS.
Generate Virtual ID Using Smartphone Via mAadhar App
Step 1: Download the mAadhar app from the Play Store.
Step 2: Install the app and launch it.
Step 3: Login to the mAadhar app by entering your mobile number and OTP verification.
Step 4: In the “Services” section, click on the “Generate Virtual ID” option.
Step 5: Enter your 12-digit Aadhar number.
Step 6: Type the Security Captcha Code and click on the “Request OTP” to send OTP.
Step 7: Enter the OTP and click on the “Generate VID” option.
Step 8: Congratulations, your VID number has been successfully generated and is printed on the phone’s screen. Note down or copy the virtual id number for future use.
Generate Aadhar VID Number By Sending SMS
You can generate your virtual aadhar id through SMS. Follow the steps below to get your VID by SMS:
- Take your phone and open the SMS app.
- Create a new message and type the message in the format given below.
- Format:- Type “GVID” followed by the last 4-digit of your Aadhar card number.
- Send the message to the UIDAI helpline number 1947.
- Now, wait for the message to arrive.
- Open the message to see your newly generated virtual id number.
Generate Virtual ID By Downloading e-Aadhar Online
- Visit this Aadhar download link: https://eaadhaar.uidai.gov.in/
- Enter your Aadhaar Number or Enrollment Number.
- Type the security captcha code and click on the “Send OTP”.
- Enter the OTP received and submit it.
- The Aadhar card PDF file will start downloading in a few seconds.
- When the download completes, open it see your virtual id printed on it.
- You will be asked to the adhar card password to open the download e aadhar file.
- You can also remove the e aadhar password if needed.
This is the only way to generate your Virtual ID through Enrollment Number. But, the enrollment number must be an approved one.
How To Retrieve Lost Aadhar Virtual ID Number (OLD)
Step 1: Go to this Link: https://resident.uidai.gov.in/vid-generation
Step 2: Enter your Aadhar number and captcha code.
Step 3: Click on the “Send OTP” option and wait for the OTP to arrive.
Step 4: Enter the OTP and select the “Retrieve VID” option.
Step 5: Done, you will receive your old VID number through SMS.
Thus, the lost virtual id number has been recovered successfully.
Features Of Aadhar Virtual ID (VID)
- Virtual Aadhar ID is an alternative to Aadhar Number for online authentications and KYC.
- VID is a temporary 16-digit random number which is mapped to the Aadhar number.
- There is no restriction in generating VID Number.
- When a new VID is created, the old virtual id number gets cancelled.
- It is not mandatory to generate VIDs.
- No government or private agency can force you to share your Aadhar number.
- The VID is valid till a new one id generated.
- The last VID number can be recovered from the UIDAI’s official website.
- No agencies are allowed to store your aadhar virtual id details in any form.
Read About Other e Aadhar Online Services:
How can I find my Virtual ID?
You can generate your virtual aadhar id online by visiting the official website of UIDAI. Just, use the online VID generator tool to get your aadhar virtual number.
Is it possible to get VID without Aadhar card?
No, it is not possible to generate VID without aadhar number. The 12-digit UID number is compulsory to get your temporary 16-digit virtual id.
Is it possible to get VID number with Enrollment number?
Yes, you can get your VID number using enrolment number. Make sure that the EID number that you are providing is already accepted for aadhar enrolment.
No, it is not possible to generate VID without aadhar card registered mobile number. You have to authenticate via OTP to get a new virtual id.
Where to use virtual id?
Once you have created your virtual aadhar id, you can start using it in place of aadhar number. You don’t need to provide aaddhar number for any online authentication or KYCs.